Friday, April 25, 2014

Why I don't care If Oasis Reform.

 'Putting the beatles back together isn't going to be the salvation of rock n roll. four kids playing to their contemporaries in a dirty club cellar might'

Mick Farren said that back in the 1970's and it still stands true.
Let me explain something right now. I was born in 1992, yet it wasn't until about 2004 that I opened my eyes up to popular culture and became a little more interested in the world around me. I won't pretend that I'm a 90's kid just because it's the cool thing.  However In some ways I envy the 90's kids. Even the britpop bands the world has forgotten - The Bluetones, Echobelly, Sleeper, managed to get hits back in the 90's.  These top 40 hits probably sold enough then to get the top 10 today. I've never had a britpop, or a punk scene to say I was a part of. What I have is B-Town, being able to see these bands and meet them means the world to me. Its an amazing scene and I'm proud to sing its praises.
Yet back then rock bands like Oasis had huge cultural significance. In many ways it was a different era. The problem is that while I like Oasis I don't love them. I love 'Don't believe the truth' but the one everyone goes on about -Definitely Maybe- just doesn't resonate with me. I admire the whole 'I'm gonna take on the world' attitude of it all but for a kid who has grown up through terrorism, credit crunches and other bad stuff, the whole 90's positivity means nothing to me.
Sure it's a good album, it'll sound good in another 20 years time, but I can't be the only one who simply thinks the Gallagher's are too overrated, or just gets sick of constantly hearing about how amazing they are or how they should reform. Lets face it, that band had it's day a long time ago. I get that they meant so much to a previous generation but I want my own era defining bands rather than wallowing in the 90's past glories. If Oasis reform they will be everywhere and frankly that's not good for my generations music. In the 1970's punk was about wiping the slate clean. Rebelling against everything -including the music that had gone before it. Yet today's bands are constantly being measured up to older bands. Yannis from Foals couldn't even criticise the lack of new bands headlining festivals without a swarm of hate from Stone Roses fans. If Oasis reform and play that stage at Glastonbury then a lot of people will be very happy. But I want my own generation defining bands filling those festival slots. I'm tired of hearing how great the past was. It's time the new generation got its chance to take over.

Bear in mind this is all just my opinion, oh an The Libertines have reformed (again), now that's a band ill be happy to have back.

"Thou shalt not put musicians and recording artists on ridiculous pedestals no matter how great they are or were." - Scoobius Pip.

No comments:

Post a Comment