Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Interview with Broken Lungs.

Broken Lungs are a new Birmingham based hardcore band. Mixing metal vocals into riff heavy melodic rock songs and taking inspiration from bands such as Cancer Bats, Every Time I die, Converge and While She Sleeps. After being impressed with their first ever show I decided to have a chat with them in the Subside smoking area. First I got to know all the band members names (Nikolas - Guitar, Dan - Drums, Alex - Bass, Joe - Vocals) as well as the fact that their lockup is called Janice.

Nick: We like to give our lock-up a girls name
BT: It’s a bit like In the great escape where the tunnels are named Tom, Dick and Harry
Joe: she isn’t clean though, she is a bit filthy at the moment
BT: If you could write a song for anyone who would it be?
Dan: I’d quite to write a song for Frank Carter And the rattlesnakes, that’d be cool or someone like Every Time I Die
Alex: If they were still around it would be Ghost of a Thousand.  If we could write a song for them,  that would be fantastic, Rest in peace
Nick: Massively underrated that band. we all tend to like bands that are quite niche. Who never really got there but stayed at a certain level. Underground bands, that’s what we’re all into really. me and Dan were playing in quite metal bands, quite ‘techy bands’ and this is the exact opposite of that. We just want to write good riffs and jump around. We wanted to write something that we could get into ourselves.
Dan: … something Joe can roll around on the floor too.  I’d like to have a go (at writing) I’ve got bits and pieces written on my phone. I’d like to do a collaboration. I’d like to write lyrics, but  It would have to be something everyone agreed on.
Nick: we just try to write as a team don’t we? Someone will have an idea or someone might pick up on something while jamming in between songs and band practises
Alex: what I will say is that our music is relatively simple but it does take a while to write it. We like to take our time to piece it all together.
Dan: it’s all about the context and how it all works together rather than the complexity of a single riff.
Alex: We try to write songs that are following some kind of structure but go on a tangent every now and then.  I don’t think you can pick out any of our songs and it’s just verse-chorus-verse chorus- breakdown. That’s just kind of how it’s kind of evolved.
At this point Vultures’ soundcheck becomes to noisy to talk over so the interview ends and we go check out more punk rock noise. 
  
www.facebook.com/brokenlungsuk

No comments:

Post a Comment