Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Salon: Contemporary Midlands Art.

Whether I'm going to exhibitions or taking photographs of graffiti.  I love art. I also have my own collection, which includes prints from local artists, Setdebellza, Bandito, Imbue and a massive Queens of the stone age Wembley arena show poster screen print. So I was excited about the idea of being able to go out and find more affordable pieces to add to my growing collection.
Salon is open from Tuesday to Saturday, from 10 am to 5pm until the 22nd of December. Unfortunately the majority of the items on display are a tad expensive. Yet still comparatively very cheap compared with the rubbish you'll find in a lot of 'fine art' galleries*.  If you want you can buy a massive sculpture  of a child's swing locked in motion, or a big sculpture of a load of wooden deck chairs stuck together. There is a globe that blows a gust of wind into a bunch of white bird feathers. Two films, one of a book of art being slowly turned page by page and the other of a train journey being filmed from the drivers point of view. The latter made me feel oddly nostalgic for my daily trips to Stratford Upon Avon. It was produced by Robert Davies and is available to buy for £9100. Which hopefully includes the projector and the big dark room. The main bargain was a series of Risograph prints, of areas of Birmingham  by Andre De Jong. you get all 7 unframed for the amazing price of £20. It breaks my heart but I don't have the space for them. So I probably wont get them. The prints are all of very dull  worn out suburban areas of Birmingham. I like the fact that it is very uninteresting scenes. The printing style lends a lot of colour to the pictures and the images themselves are quietly surreal. There are some lovely affordable prints by Karoline Rerrie and some amazing pencil drawings of animals. I love the copper prints, and collections of jars, on sale £20 each.  A lot of the pieces are reflective of life in the West Midlands. Every piece I saw looks modern and in some way reflects our era. The paintings of Malala Yousafzai are particularly poignant.  Of course many of the best works are the most expensive. Whether your buying or not though. Salon is worth visiting for fans of brilliant modern art, all by local artists.


*Just because it's signed/painted by Ronnie Wood, John Lennon, Bob Dylan or Stan Lee. Does not make it worth ten grand.

No comments:

Post a Comment